I absolutely love chicken katsu, a chicken cutlet breaded with panko and then deep-fried. To avoid bringing out the big pot o’ oil, I decided to try out this baked version from JustOneCookbook.com. It was wonderful!
Baked Panko Chicken
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (~225g each)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- salt pepper and
- Tonkatsu sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Prepare a sheet pan with oil or a baking mat.
- Toast panko bread crumbs with olive oil over medium-low heat until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and cut to make four equal pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- On a plate, gently whisk the egg with about a teaspoon of water.
- Pour the 1/4 cup of flour onto a plate.
- Place the chicken breasts into the flour and coat evenly.
- Dip into the egg and then into the bread crumbs. Be sure to coat the chicken breasts with an even layer of panko.
- Place the breaded chicken onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. If you want the chicken extra crispy, turn on the broiler and toast for about 5 minutes.